Environmental Compliance Update: Trends, Challenges, and Solutions
When it comes to multi-media environmental permitting and compliance, air quality regulations and requirements often pose the greatest challenges. Today’s complex air quality regulatory landscape includes a regulatory rollback at the federal level and an increase in control at the state and local levels. For companies that operate in multiple states, this can make it harder to manage the different state and local requirements necessary to obtain permits and operate. Langan’s national environmental compliance team is well-versed in dealing with state and local regulatory agencies and can help clients develop a national strategy that works for their operations.
While each air quality project is unique, below are some recent examples of air quality permit and compliance projects that are indicative of industry trends:
- Assist property owners, facility managers, and operators to ensure that their stationary diesel engines comply with more stringent USEPA Tier 4 emission standards
- Evaluate equipment and control specifications necessary to meet regulatory standards
- Air permitting for fuel conversions to natural gas
- Calculate Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions and prepare a GHG Inventory and Reduction Plan to meet local Climate Action Plan requirements
- Develop a permit matrix and timeline to obtain the air quality permits based on state and major or minor source of air emissions
- Generation of annual air emissions inventory, GHG, and permit compliance reports for submittal to regulatory agencies
As air quality regulations grow increasingly complex, the solution is to stay informed about the requirements that affect their business, and to work with firms with experience and technical expertise to help them manage and comply with environmental regulations during planning and routine operations.